Wild Rice and Mushroom Stuffing
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1 3/4 cups dried pears, chopped (7 oz, optional)
- 1 cup fresh italian parsley, chopped
In a large pan heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and sauté until very tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. In the same pot over medium-high heat, add ½ cup oil and add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon thyme; sauté until mushrooms are cooked through.
Add to bowl with onions. Season with salt and pepper. Bring broth, 1 tablespoon thyme, and 2 teaspoons sage to boil in heavy large deep saucepan. Mix in wild rice; return to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 45 minutes until all rice is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed. Add onions and mushrooms, remaining tablespoon thyme, and sage. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup parsley.
Can be made up to 3 days ahead ahead and baked in the oven prior to serving.